facebook

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Birth Song

Yesterday, birthday wishes started pouring in for Era from India. Her birthday is today the 24th, but I realized that it was already 24th in India. But because I was still a solid 12 hours behind schedule here in Berkeley, I was taken back to the night of  the 23rd ,three years ago...( cue in the shivers..)

In my last trimester I had been asked multiple times to complete my 'Birth plan' and submit it to my Gynecologist.  All the questions in the Birth plan were very confusing, intimidating and I was tempted to hire someone who had been through the actual process of giving birth to come and fill out my birth plan for me. When I researched online, the articles I read were pretty stressful. To give you a fair context, I had stopped reading news since my first trimester because the state of the world I was bringing a new baby into was very disturbing to me. So the stories of things gone wrong during labor were kind of dampening the sweet bubble I was living in.
But the writing of my birth plan led me to the selection of a birth song for Era's actual entry into the world.
Needless to say , when it was crunch time the birth plan I had written was thrown out of the window- Era had a more dramatic plan to make her entry and we just went along with it. Though she heard that song on repeat inside my womb, her birth song was not actually played at her entry or even in the first two days while we scrambled to learn her new ways.  With her birth a new 'Era' in our life had begun!
The birth song would have remained a mere entry on our birth plan but for the new born screening. When Era's heel was pricked to collect her blood sample for newborn screening, she wouldn't calm down. Swaddling, cuddling, feeding, passed from nurse to me to Ajji to Dad, this passing -the-screaming-infant , continued until Nikit unconsciously started swaying and singing the song and slowly she calmed down. She found her familiar tune and settled down.
We performed this 'musical trio treat' for the nurses many times in our five day hospital stay.  They ohhed and ahhed about the song. An Ethiopian nurse and a Hawaian nurse asked us for the details of the song because, "it had grown on them"...
The song that grew on them, on us and on Era is , 'आ चल के तुझे मै लेके चलू ...'. This song composed,written and sung by Kishore Kumar from the movie  'दूर गगन के छाँव मै.. is a true Utopian fantasy, but  I think it is the ultimate, in the kind of idealism that new parents have for the world that they want to create for their offspring. We selected it at a time when it fit perfectly into my sweet bubble of keeping the real world at bay.  But even in the real world, I am glad that we choose this song of hope for my daughter.  As she grows up she will realize that the world is not as  poetic , dreamy and friendly as the song portrays. In her short three years she has already seen that not everyone will respond  or reciprocate to her happy child persona or her friendliness. But I am glad that she will have the music and the idealistic words of this song as part of her intrinsic rhythm and conditioning! Spunk, resilience, strength: they will follow in the years to come...
For now, this unbroken sense of peace, unity and harmony is our gift to her !

आ चल के तुझे, मैं ले के चलूं
इक ऐसे गगन के तले
जहाँ ग़म भी न हो, आँसू भी न हो
बस प्यार ही प्यार पले
इक ऐसे गगन के तले
Come let me take you to this land,
where under the blue skies,
there is no room for sorrows, no tears,
Only Love blooms and resides,
Under those skies.

सूरज की पहली किरण से, आशा का सवेरा जागे – 2
चंदा की किरण से धुल कर, घनघोर अंधेरा भागे – 2
कभी धूप खिले कभी छाँव मिले
लम्बी सी डगर न खले
जहाँ ग़म भी नो हो, आँसू भी न हो…
बस प्यार ही प्यार पले
The first rays of the sun bring in a hopeful dawn,
The  first rays of the moon wash away the deep dark gloom,
At times the glare is too bright, sometimes there is shade, no light,
But the path meanders,the journey continues..
Where there is no room for sorrows, no tears..
Only Love blooms and resides...

जहाँ दूर नज़र दौड़ आए, आज़ाद गगन लहराए
जहाँ रंग बिरंगे पंछी, आशा का संदेसा लाएं – 2
सपनो मे पली हँसती हो कली
जहाँ शाम सुहानी ढले
जहाँ ग़म भी न हो, आँसू भी न हो…
बस प्यार ही प्यार पले
Deep on the horizon,  as far as the eye can see, lives a free land..
Birds of color with rainbow plumes; messages of hope they sing.. 
Smile, my tender bud, I brought you up with my dreams
In that faraway land of golden evenings and twilight
Where there is no room for sorrows, no tears..
Only Love blooms and resides...

सपनो के ऐसे जहाँ में,जहाँ प्यार ही प्यार खिला हो,
हम जाके वहाँ खो जाये , शिकवा न कोई गिला हो ,
कही बैर न हो , कोई गैर न हो , सब मिलके यूँ मिलते चले ..
जहा गम भी न हो , आसू भी न हो ,
बस प्यार ही प्यार पले.

In Utopia, my land of dreams, where love has embraced all,
Lets just reach and get lost in its valleys; We will be a clean slate,no baggage of the past.
There are no boundaries, no aliens, we are united as we walk forward,
To a land where there is no room for sorrows, no tears..
Only love blooms and resides...

x

No comments:

Post a Comment